Ring on the FT-77 knob

Ring on the FT-77 knob
As any rubber shoe or sneaker owner finds out soon enough rubber disentegrates with age but what happened to this forty year old radio vfo knob rubber is really something else. All of them by now have turned into a gooey mess and have to be removed for the radio to be usable at all. In the past, I have seen this happen to rubber belts on cassette tape decks. The problem with the now naked bare knob, is when you try to turn the knob faster, your index finger tends to slide off the knob. Not a good user experience.
While I wait for a reasonably price VFO knob replacement I bought a $3 ring (probably pot metal just like the knob itself HIHI) at a sidewalk vendor in U.P. Town Center yesterday and today, I glued it to the old knob which had become difficult to use as my index finger keeps sliding off the bare knob.
I used some tiny drops of super glue to tack it on and then used baking soda plus some drops of super glue on top of the baking soda to strenghten the bond. This is something I picked up on youtube.
It feels great to spin now. I got a spray can of flat black elastic rubber coating (the peelable kind) and most likely might use that to coat the knob and make it look nicer. 73 DU1FV  




 

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

First "Fun with Morse Code" Inter highschool Contest photos

Kenwood HF-50Mhz TRansceiver TS-680V Review Digest

Hot-Rod Your ICOM IC-725-Series Transceiver by Jukka Vermasvuori